Tuesday, June 24, 2008

War with Iran...coming soon..

Although this is outside of the purview of "the markets" I watch with sadness the multiple sources confirming a war with Iran is in the cards. There are reports (from Ron Paul) that Nancy Polosi had removed safeguards from a bill passed in '06 that would have required Congressional approval for any first strike against Iran. Meanwhile neo-conservative think tanks have already decided that the U.S. economy could survive a war with Iran even if oil spiked to $250 a barrel (These people don't care what happens to the economic fate of the U.S. or the world). One Neocon study even suggested bombing Iran's oilfields directly (sheer madness). The link is here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2008/06/iran-neocons-sa.html


George Carlin (RIP George, we'll miss you) said years ago the United States was "owned" by an elite. and the two parties were a sham, a phony. I think he was 100% correct. That elite is now telling us what it will do, and we have nothing to say about it. The American people are probably going to wake up to a very different reality then what they are used to. I already have, and it is highly disturbing...

P.S. On this next link is a video of Bill Kristol (one of Bush's former cabinet members, if you didn't know that) suggesting that Bush will start the war if Obama seems likely to be elected. Sounds like a general threat of some kind, and ties in with many other things I have read that I don't have space for here...

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/22/kristol-bush-iran/

P.P.S. What makes things so bad is that Russia and China and other countries have told us "Hand Off!" regarding Iran. I'm not saying Russia and China are wonderful, I'm only saying thet the elements are there for a real bad day for all of us...

5 comments:

D said...

Gog and Magog ----> Israel.

I recommend establishing a second residence in the hills!

lagscrew said...

Mark

I feel and have had the same thinking as you in your post. Many people I talk to (mostly older) are in our ballpark.

I have wanted to many times to go short and just leave it at that but its hard to do.

and they wonder why oil is high

D said...

Ezekiel 38-39

john said...

Mark,
Now we know why THEY did away with the draft. Let the poor fight our bs wars. If they had a draft, people would be in the streets by now. George Carlin was totally correct-

old john

mlytle said...

All,
I have some thought that the U.S.A. will be in such bad shape in a few years, that our ability to give Israel endless financial support will diminish dramatically. It would be in Israel's interest to start earnest peace talks with their adverseries, and include the U.N. The reality is, their current position is long term socially and economically unteneable. I recognize that Israel has some frightening neighbors, but I don't think they've used diplomacy at all recently. It should be tried again, I would say...

Regards,
Mark L.