The world was completely transformed by oil for the duration of the twentieth century, but if the graph is right, within 20 years it will be virtually gone but our dependence upon it will not. Instead, we have:
- zero time to plan how to replace cars in our lives
- zero time to plan how to manufacture and install millions of furnaces to replace home oil furnaces, and zero time toproduce the infrastructure necessary to carry out that task
- zero time to retool suburbia so it can function without gasoline
- zero time to plan for replacement of the largest military establishment in history, almost completely dependent upon oil
- zero time to plan to support nine billion peolple without the "green revolution," a creation of the age of oil
- zero time to plan to replace oil as an essential fuel in electricity production
- zero time to plan for preserving millions of miles of roads without asphalt.
- zero time to plan for the replacement of oil in its essential role in EVERY industry.
- zero time to plan for replacement of oil in its exclusive role of transporting people, agricultural produce, manufactured goods. In a world without oil that appears only twenty years away, there will be no oil-burning ships transporting US grain to other countries, there will be no oil-burning airlines linking the world's major cities, there will be no oil-burning ships transporting Chinese manufactured goods to the billions now dependent on them.
- zero time to plan for the survival of the billions of new people expected by 2050 in the aftermath of ":peak everything."
- zero capital, because of failing banks ansd public and private debt, to address these issues.